How to deal with Tripadvisor fake reviews?
The fact is that fake hotel review websites exist. Whether they're posted by your competitors or disgruntled former employees, fraudulent and fake hotel review sites can damage your online reputation.
- Don't wait for an emergency to get back to someone. Proactively reach out within 48 hours.
- Treat your reviewer like a valuable client
- Tell them honestly... tell them openly...
TripAdvisor's new global survey reveals that user reviews are the most important factor for travelers when deciding where to stay.
- According to TripAdvisor's 2016 Global Traveler Survey, 96 percent of travelers use reviews when planning a trip or making travel arrangements.
- According to research by TripAdvisor, 83 percent of its visitors will typically or perpetually read hotel review sites before making their decision.
Detecting fake reviews on TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor is one of the most popular travel sites around the world. But it doesn't take long to discover that some reviewers aren't telling the truth. This week we're sharing four ways to spot fake reviews on TripAdvisor.
1. Limited Reviews
Seeing many reviews under a specific category might mean someone has written just a few reviews. If there are no reviews, it could be because the site is relatively new and hasn't had much activity yet.
2. Inadequate Profile Information
Reviewers often include basic contact info such as email address and phone number. If a reviewer isn't willing to provide this information, it's probably fake.
3. Social Connections
Social media profiles are another excellent way to tell whether a review is genuine. A verified Facebook account, for example, indicates that the person posting the review exists.
4. All or nothing: The opinions are either right or wrong.
Fake review sites tend to be more extreme than genuine customer review websites. Fake harmful review sites for hotels or restaurants usually include more negative sentiment than authentic customer feedback. These fake harmful review sites will often use more hate speech than if they were real.
5. A sudden burst of positive reviews
One way to spot fake reviews on TripAdvisors is by checking out the timestamps of the reviews. If they're all from one day, chances are that person just posted them all within a few minutes of each other.
6. Incomplete information and shorter sentences
Fake reviews don't include any information. Another way of identifying fake reviews about your business involves closely analyzing the vocabulary employed in the review. Fake Yelp reviews are marked with short sentences and limited descriptions of the food or service. Furthermore, these reviews often contain incorrect spelling and grammatical errors.
Reporting fake reviews to Yelp
Since there are so many legitimate review sites, at least one scammer will inevitably slip through the cracks. However, as long as they don't get caught, they can keep doing business as usual.
If you're going to report a fake review on a business' TripAdvisor page, here's what you need to know:
- Go to your TripAdvisor account and click on the 'Your Business' tab on the right-hand side.
- Click on "Manage Reviews."
- Clicking on the "See our guidelines" link below the "Concerned About A Review?" headline takes you to a page where you can see our guidelines and submit any concerns.
Flag the review that is worrying/concerning you. You only have 500 chars to explain what happened. Be succinct! Ensure you include any evidence supporting your claims (e.g., screenshots).
Responding to negative comments on TripAdvisor — is it a good idea?
To remove fake reviews from TripAdvisor, you must be prepared for rejection.
If someone has posted a bad review for your business, then you must respond to them. It doesn't matter if they're genuine; whether good or bad, you need to respond to every single one of their reviews.
Polite responses like the ones mentioned below can be effective.
"We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there isn't anything else we can do."
To deal with fake reviews, respond promptly but politely, and show them that you will not be intimidated by their lies.
Fraud online reviews and "red flag" incidents can severely damage hoteliers, restaurateurs, and other small businesses. Yet they usually have no way to fight back unless they go through costly legal proceedings.
Reputation Defenders's online reputation monitoring service helps companies monitor their online reputations. This includes identifying new negative comments and responding to them to improve your company's image.
November 16, 2022